Is dentistry the same as dentist?

A dentist is a doctor whose practice is in the field of dentistry. This involves the mouth, teeth, gums, and related areas. If you're looking for a dentist, you may notice that while most appear on the list with a “DDS”, some may be listed as “DMD”. Both mean the same thing: your dentist graduated from an accredited dental school.

The DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) and the DMD (Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry or Doctor of Dental Medicine) are the same degrees.


who have a DMD or a DDS have the same education. It's up to universities to determine which degree is awarded, but both degrees use the same curriculum requirements. Dentistry, also known as dental medicine and oral medicine, is the branch of medicine that focuses on the teeth, gums, and mouth.

It consists of the study, diagnosis, prevention, management and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the mouth, focusing most commonly on the dentition (the development and arrangement of the teeth) and on the oral mucosa. Dentistry can also encompass other aspects of the craniofacial complex, including the temporomandibular joint. The doctor is called a dentist. Both orthodontists and dentists help patients improve their oral health, but in different ways.

Dentistry is a broad medical specialty that deals with the teeth, gums, nerves and the jaw, while orthodontics is a specialty of dentistry that focuses on correcting the bites, occlusion, and straightness of the teeth. An important difference is that all orthodontists, such as Drs. Burk and Flinn, are dentists, but not all dentists are licensed orthodontists.

General dentists

are primary care oral health providers and are one of the most common types of dentists.

You can visit your general dentist for routine dental cleanings and dental exams. In these exams, a general dentist will evaluate the health of your teeth and gums and perform treatments such as tooth decay removal, root canals, and dental crowns. Orthodontists specialize in aligning the teeth and jaw, using wires, braces, retainers, and other devices. If you have an overbite, an underbite, a cross bite, or misaligned teeth, you may be referred to an orthodontist for correction.

Leave Message

Required fields are marked *